We decided that since our time in Abu Dhabi was brief we should leave the swimming pool and see the sites. The city of Abu Dhabi is like night and day to Jo'berg, where we had travelled from. Everything in UAE is build on oil money, so it's all new, shiny and brand spankin new. Our tour started off at the mall, because shopping and UAE go hand in hand. Sorry to say I didn't buy anything. A visit to a historic site with a funky museum and pretend desert camp checked off the super touristy attraction.
New high rises and the Emirates Palace Hotel, which we couldn't go in because Dan was wearing shorts.
This sign is awesome! Most of the people crossing sign are normal, but this one has an Emirati in traditional dress.
Lebanese Flower, seriously one of the best meals we had on our whole trip.
And our tiki tour would not be complete without a trip to Abu Dhabi's Grand Mosque. Visitors are welcome, but required to wear appropriate clothes, so Dan changed into pants and was fine, but I was required to wear an abaya. Dan took most of these photos as I spent most of our time there tripping over my dress and trying to keep my headscarf on correctly.
We returned to Yolanda and Darryl's and took another dip in the pool, it's hard being a tourist! Then we feasted on left overs from lunch, yum. Both of us were surprised by how much we enjoyed our time in Abu Dhabi, somehow I'd expected a desert and a backwards society, but instead was treated to a clean modern city with friendly people and tons to do.











5 comments:
wow. What an opportunity! Glad you guys were able to do this!
So incredible Erin, what amazing architecture! I would be so grateful to have the opportunity you did.... love your documentation!
UAE looks amazing! And definitely very different to Joburg...
Wow, how amazing are these photos! I'm envious as I'd love to travel there myself!
Beautiful pictures!!!
Post a Comment