Saturday, June 26, 2010

Family Ski Day



We all survived our first day up at Cardrona! (I went up by myself yesterday, but today was the a family of 4 adventure). It was a true treat to rise above the inversion layer in Wanaka and spend some time in the sunshine. The boys were really excited about the magic carpet when we first got there. Ben is fairly cautious and doesn't quite know what to make of skiing (I think that's code for he whines a fair bit). He's spent plenty of days on the snow, but being Ben he's not that go-go-go on something that he's not 100% sure about. Josh, on the other hand, was whining from the first run that he wanted to go up the chair lift. Dan and I managed about an hour or so on the magic carpet before we'd truly exhausted all parties. Dan went for an hour of skiing on his own and the boys and I refueled in the lodge (plus took the season pass photos). After our snack we somehow managed to get back up to the magic carpet and put on all of our skis before Dan reappeared. I was exhausted just by that effort. After a number of melt downs we decided to split up- I took Josh up the chair and Dan & Ben stayed on the magic carpet. Josh is a speed freak. He giggles and asked for more the entire run down McDougal's. My legs were on fire, supporting the weight of a 2 1/2 year old with skis and boots on is not easy. After a few crashes we managed to track down Dan & Ben at the bottom of the poma lift. Josh wanted to keep going and I needed to rest my legs. In the end we lasted over 3 1/2 hours at the hill. It was a major effort, but I think we're all game to do it again next weekend.

No comments: